Pages

Monday 1 August 2011

What a pair!




A pair of very different cards for the FEELING FRUITY challenge at Less is More where your card is to involve fruit or fruit colours.  Gosh this made my tummy sink as I don't own any obvious fruit stamps.  Mmmm will need to think out of the box.  After a rummage I came up with 2 ideas,  yes I know 2, I'm amazed as well! 

The pears were punched in Pear Pizzazz (I mean what else!) using the 2 Step Owl Punch.  Yep you heard right.  With a little trimming of the owls ears and feet you end up with a pear shape.  Sorry Mr Owl.  

I gave the pears a little sponging using Old Olive and Real Red with my Sponge Daubers.  I added a little stalk to each by sponging some Whisper White with Early Espresso and free cutting the stem. 

The little tag was stamped with "friends" from Tiny Tags and punched out with the Jewellery Tag Punch.  It was attached with some Linen Thread.

I scored some embossing lines on my Whisper White card blank to add a little extra interest and to ground my pears.  I'm happy with the result and as it's a friends card I think my middle will say something like "What a Pair?!". 



This is my second card.  Would you believe my only stamp with some fruit is the little cherry from On a Pedestal.  So on this card I've given it center stage.  Did you spot the bowl?  It's the icing top from one of the cakes.  I coloured it directly on the stamp using my Old Olive Stampin' Write Marker.  I've added some Crystal Effects to each of the cherries as they always seem to be so shiny.  My sentiment was computer generated.  I'm rather pleased with the result on this one too as I wouldn't have thought to go down this route so thanks to Chrissie and Mandi for making us think out of the box once more. 

Materials used
All Stampin' Up! supplies

Card: 
Card 1: Whisper White, Pear Pizzazz, 
Card 2: Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive, Whisper White
Ink: 
Card 1: Old Olive, Real Red, Early Espresso
Card 2: Rich Razzleberry, Old Olive 
Stamps:
Card 1: Tiny Tags
Card 2: On a Pedestal
Punches:
Card 1: 2 Step Owl Punch
Card 2: Scallop Edge Border Punch, Modern Label Extra- Large
Other:
Card 1: Embossed lines using Scoring Blade in paper cutter, Linen Thread
Card 2: Crystal Effects, Paper Piercing Tool to add some detail to scallop edge border, Old Olive Stampin' Write Marker




38 comments:

Kathyk said...

Smashing "pear"!!! both lovely cards but I'm particularly loving your "berry" nice 2nd card!

Kathyk

Penny said...

How clever of you to use an owl punch for the pears - genius!! Love both of your clever cards but especially the pear one.

Suze Bain said...

Wow, what a great use of the owl punch and they sit 'pear'fectly inside the embossed frame. Like the cherry one too but the pear one is perfectly CAS! xx

G Peplow said...

Hi Aileen, Clever you, love the owl minus ears and feet, brilliant, great sponging too and the bowl of cherries is just perfect, Gay xxx

Kim S said...

You are amazingly creative...a pear/owl and a frosting/bowl! Wow! I didn't have any exciting fruit stamps so I went out and found a digi stamp - I definitely do not have the ability to think outside the box as you clearly do!

Anonymous said...

Two gorgeous and very creative cards Aileen! So clever! xx

Chrissie said...

I think it's brilliant to be able to adapt what you already have to make new things... true crafting!
These are both fab cards!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
Lady LIM
"Less is More"

Angelnorth said...

Grat cards, love your creatively punched pears!

Zoechaos said...

Very stylish cards great work XOXO Zoe

Carol said...

Two very clever cards Aileen. Carol x

Beryl K said...

Two gorgeous cards
Beryl x

Linda said...

Absolutely brilliant, Aileen. I would never have guessed the pears were Woodsy the Owl! I love the little cherry stamp too! Very cool :-)
Linda
x

Sasha said...

Super cards...great creativity!

Rosemary said...

two fabby cards!! brilliant idea to use the two-step owl punch to make your pears!!! love it!

Dana said...

Both cards are fantastic. I love the little "friends" tag and the placement of the cherries is awesome.

Mandi said...

FAB cards, I LOVE the bowl of cherries, extremely inventive
Love it!
Thank you so much
Mandi
Diva LIM
"Less is More"

Anne said...

Two lovely cards, the cherries are so clever, love the sponging on your pear
Anne
x

Wishcraft said...

Both such fabulous ideas, I love them! I've just treated myself to the owl punch, only got it on Saturday so haven't used it yet... never would have thought to make pears with it though! Lisa x

Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous card!! Beautiful couple of pears.

Marlena M. said...

Very creative...beautiful cards! ;)

GinaA said...

Fab ideas, lovely cards. Wonder if I can make an owl out of a pear!!!

Margaret said...

Wow Aileen these are both great but I love the pear one, so simple but gorgeous. Nber thought of using the owl punch as a pear, great idea
Margaret x

Dolly Daydreams said...

Well goodness me you are a clever girl this is fabulous and beautifully coloured. What I want to know is what did you do with the ears !!!!!!

Marie

Crealin said...

Hi Aileen,

you have such a creative mind, making pears of an owl, that's super. Love the embossing on your card too. So delicate and yet the finishing touch.
Your second card is lovely too. The way you multiplied the cherries in an up-side-down cupcake wowie!

Lins :)

Keep It Sweet and Simple said...

2 fabulous cards. Love the way you created those pears - genius!
Great use of stamps for the cherries too - especially like how one has slipped from the bowl.
Caroline xx

Jenny said...

Hi Aileen, I love your genius way of creating pears with the owl punch, they look amazing and very real :)
The bowl of cherries is so sweet, an ingenious way to make the bowl too...in fact looks like a carved melon bowl in green!
Thanks for joining my blog roll too :)
Jenny x

Bonnie said...

Wow, Aileen, I am so impressed with your creativity! I love your pears and would never have thought to use the owl punch to do that. And the second card is amazing! All those shiny cherries on the pedestal are brilliant and I love the layout and the colors! Well done!

Diane Louise J said...

Two very lovely cards xx

Taru Jehkonen said...

great cards! Lovely shapes!

Jehko xxx

MonicaB said...

Wow, great job thinking outside the box. I would never have guessed that was an owl punch. Both cards are lovely!

C said...

Both cards are adorable! Loving the little cherries all stacked up...and who would have known those pears started their lives as an owl?

Stephanie Lanzalotto said...

I love both cards. The tag around the pears is the perfect finishing touch and I love all of those piled up cherries. Wonderful!

The Crafty Elf said...

Your cards are just gorgeous, honestly! I'm so glad you left a comment thank you and I've truly enjoyed visiting. Please add your name to my giveaway it's gorgeous jewelery and my sponsor has offered more in the months to come -yay!

Michelle Short said...

Great cards and fab idea for them both! xx

Hannah said...

Great cards, love those pears, so much dimension :)

kingstonmama said...

Clever cards. Brilliant idea to use an owl punch! I love the green pears against the white card.

Susan said...

You are SO creative! Who would have thought to make a pear from an owl punch!! Awesome!!

Faith A at Daffodil Cards said...

SO clever and lovely cards are the product of a great mind :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...